- Preheat oven to 325 ° and line cupcake pan with liners. Makes approximately 18 cupcakes.
- In the bowl of a large mixing bowl, add eggs whites and vegetable oil. Mix until incorporated.
- Add cake mix. Mix until incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Add sour cream and continue mixing.
- Add amaretto and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove baked cupcakes from pan and allow to cool before frosting.
- Cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature before you begin.
- An ice cream scoop works greats to fill your cupcake liners evenly. I like the #20 scoop which holds about 3 tablespoons of batter.
- Why the amaretto? The amaretto liqueur serves a couple of purposes. One, it adds a nice hint of almond flavoring without that in-your-face flavor that some almond extracts give. Two, it adds some sweetness and extra shelf-life to the cupcake along with a little added moisture. If you prefer not to use a liqueur in the recipe, you can substitute equal amounts of simple syrup.