I am celebrating the Fourth of July with stars and stripes vanilla cupcakes. These vanilla cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat to whatever you have grilling this weekend. Pair this classic vanilla cake with any frosting but I gotta admit, my faux swiss meringue buttercream is the perfect backdrop to my sprinkles. Oh…sprinkles! As much as I hate to admit it, I have a sprinkles addiction. It wasn’t hard for me to not only find red, white, and blue sprinkles to jazz up some cupcakes but of course, I found gold and red stars, too.
And while you are it, these patriotic beauties pair beautifully with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream. Happy Fourth!Print
- Preheat oven to 325 ° and line cupcake pan with liners. Makes approximately 18 cupcakes.
- In the bowl of a large mixing bowl, add eggs whites and vegetable oil. Mix until incorporated.
- Add cake mix. Mix until incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Add sour cream and continue mixing.
- Add amaretto and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove baked cupcakes from pan and allow to cool before frosting.
- Cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature before you begin.
- An ice cream scoop works greats to fill your cupcake liners evenly. I like the #20 scoop which holds about 3 tablespoons of batter.
- Why the amaretto? The amaretto liqueur serves a couple of purposes. One, it adds a nice hint of almond flavoring without that in-your-face flavor that some almond extracts give. Two, it adds some sweetness and extra shelf-life to the cupcake along with a little added moisture. If you prefer not to use a liqueur in the recipe, you can substitute equal amounts of simple syrup.
Be the first to comment