For a deep, rich flavor, toast the coconut flakes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle coconut on parchment paper. Spread out so the coconut doesn’t cluster.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Coconut should just be starting to brown. Use a spatula and turn the coconut. Continue baking until the desired degree of toasting is achieved.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Leftover toasted coconut can be placed in Ziplock bag and stored in the pantry or frozen.
Bakers coconut is my preferred brand. It’s always moist, never dry like a lot of store brands I have tried.
Fresh coconut can be toasted as well. Grate the coconut and toast per above directions.