- Preheat oven to 325° and spray bundt pan or baking pans with spray release or grease and flour. Four 8” baking pans or Five 7” pans.
- In a large bowl, add flour and baking soda. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, add butter (room temperature) and sugar. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream and mix on medium until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the eggs. Add eggs, one at a time, beat, then add some flour. Beginning and ending with the flour.
- Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated taking care not to over beat.
- Pour batter into bundt pan or pans.
- Bake bundt pan about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Toothpick inserted into center should come out with a few crumbs, but no liquid.
- If using baking pans, bake 35-40 minutes. Toothpick inserted into the center should be clean or have a few crumbs, but no liquid.
- Let cake cool in pan/pans for 10- 15 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool until warm to the touch. Wrap cakes in saran wrap and let them finish cooling.
- If using a bundt pan, be sure to spray it well with pan release. If using butter and flour to prepare the pan, make sure all areas of the pan are coated.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Be careful to not overbake the cake. A few crumbs on the toothpick are ok. If the toothpick inserted in the center has liquid on it, it’s not done.
- To add additional lemon flavoring, zest a lemon and add the zest to the batter when adding the lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Store wrapped cakes in refrigerator or freeze for use later.
- Let cake come to room temperature before eating. Butter cakes taste best at room temperature.