February is the month for chocolate lovers, me included. Finding the perfect chocolate cake recipe that stands up to different frostings and flavor profile is a labor or love.
In two decades, and dozens and dozens of recipes tried and tasted, this is my favorite go-to chocolate cake. The recipe doesn’t disappoint. A moist and tender crumb with just the right “chocolate” for my taste buds. This three layer cake is rich in tase with hi-note of chocolate fudge. The best part is that it’s super easy to make, too!
And don’t forget to finish it off with my sweet and creamy Faux Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting (chocolate or strawberry or vanilla) from last week. YUM!Print
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2- 8” or 3- 7″ pans with parchment and spray with Baker’s Joy or other pan release.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes depending on the size of pans you use.
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool in pans for 10-15 minutes. Turn out and wrap with plastic wrap and allow the wrapped cakes to continue to cool.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Hershey’s cocoa works great with this recipe!
I use three – 7” pans for this recipe
Make sure all your ingredients are at room temp
No need to bring out the stand mixer for this recipe; a hand mixer will do the trick
This recipe makes a great dessert cake. I would not use it for a wedding cake as the structure of the finished cake is not strong enough to be made into larger layers.
Keywords: chocolate cake, recipe
Light, chocolatey buttercream frosting.
Blog post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love!