No Spring or Summer get together is complete without lemon bars. A delicious shortbread crust and a tangy but sweet lemon filling topped off with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. These tart finger desserts are perfect for any gathering or just because.
Lemon bars are a family favorite. The easy recipe doesn’t’ take much time at all but feels like a decadent treat. You’ll find two recipes: the crust and the filling. Next week, look for my favorite tip on slicing these yummy bars.Print
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9×9 inch or 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with foil. Bring foil side up and over the pan. You will use the foil “handles” to lift the lemon bars from the pan after baking. Spray foil with pan release, or butter and flour.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour and powdered sugar. Mix on low for 1 minute to combine.
- Add softened butter to flour mixture and mix on medium until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add shortbread dough to the baking pan. Press firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and stir well.
- Add flour mixture into lemon juice mixture and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour over baked crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Cool on cooling rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Keep refrigerated.
Fresh squeezed lemon juice is best. If you don’t have the time, used bottled juice.
These bars freeze beautifully.
Be sure to store lemon bars in the fridge.