Oh yes, it is apple season. Fresh apple cake is one of my family’s favorite ways to celebrate the arrival of Fall. Chock full of pecans and apples with a hint of cinnamon, this cake hits all the right notes. I also use a variety of apple so use your favorite varieties. Come on, put on your cardigan and start the fire and cut a slice of apple cake. Oh, and if you want to drizzle some Salted Caramel Sauce on the cake — who I am to stop you!Print
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Use a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat eggs, sugars, vanilla and oil. Beat for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until fully combined.
- Lightly toss nuts with small amount of flour. Fold in apples and nuts by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Can use four 6” round pans (bake for 35-45 minutes) or a Bundt pan (bake for 1 hour at 300° if using Bundt pan.)
- Apples…I use a combination of Granny Smith and Gala apples. Use what you like.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Toast your nuts! Seriously, adding toasted nuts to a recipe really punches up the flavor.
- Be sure to toss the nuts with a light dusting of flour. This will help prevent the nuts from dropping to the bottom of the pan as the cake bakes.