Cannoli is a traditional Italian pastry, fried and filled with a sweet cheese filling that has undertones of orange and vanilla. Add chocolate chips to the filling and around the cake and voila! Cannoli cake perfection for a delicious summer dessert.
The first time I bit into a cannoli, I knew the lightly sweet flavor profile would be the perfect cake filling. Instead of traditional ricotta cheese, I prefer to use mascarpone cheese as it is a thicker cheese that does not require draining.
I had Donna, my business partner, taste test. She lived in Cleveland’s Little Italy for 3 years and had many cannoli’s from the famous Presti’s Bakery. She gave this Cannoli Cake a big thumb’s up. I hope you love it as much as she did.Print
Pair the tender, buttery The Best Vanilla Cake with sweet cheese and chocolate chip filling and you have a delicious summer cake
- I prefer having four cake layers when making the cannoli cake so I use four 7” pans when baking the cake layers.
- Be generous with the filling! It holds up well as a filling.
- Faux Swiss meringue Buttercream pairs perfectly with this cake. If you are a fan of orange flavoring, add a TBSP of Grand Marnier in addition to the Vanilla Extract when you flavor the buttercream.
- Be sure and keep the cannoli cake refrigerated.
- Cake layers and Faux Swiss Meringue Buttercream can be made ahead and frozen for 2-3 months. Remove from freezer, leave wrapped, and place in refrigerator to defrost overnight.
- Cannoli cake will stay fresh for 3-5 days refrigerated.
- Place mascarpone cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer using whisk attachment. Whisk for one minute on low.
- Add heavy cream and whisk on medium-high until stiff peaks just begin to form.
- Add Grand Marnier and orange zest. Continue to whisk until stiff peaks, taking care not to over mix.
- Fold mini chocolate chips in by hand.