- Preheat oven to 350º. Line three 9” round pans or four 8” round pans with parchment and spray with a pan release agent.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Add both sugars and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add bananas and mix until incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and soda to combine. Add to banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix in rum and vanilla.
- If using nuts, coat with a light dust of flour to prevent sinking. Fold nuts into batter.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for 30-45 minutes (depends on your oven and the size pans you are using) or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.Cool cakes in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks. Wrap in saran wrap and store in the refrigerator if you aren’t using right away.
The riper the banana, the better the flavor. Freeze overly ripe bananas in the peel and let come to room temperature before using. The banana will be as if perfectly pureed and requires no mashing.
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
Pecan or walnuts make a nice addition to this recipe.
Banana cake freezes beautifully.