- Place sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon unit the sugar melts and is amber-colored liquid and no lumps remain. 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the butter carefully as it will bubble up. Use a whisk to stir until the butter is fully melted and the mixture is incorporated. 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully pour the heavy cream in a steady stream into the mixture using your whisk to combine. When the cream is fully combined, let it boil for one minute before removing it from the heat.
- Stir in salt.
- Let the caramel cool completely before using on the cake.
- Caramel can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for two weeks. Microwave in 10-second intervals to warm.
- Have ingredients at room temperature and ready to go. Once you start you have to stir, whisk, and keep your eye on it from start to finish.
- More salt can be added if you prefer a saltier caramel.